The ‘Hamptons of the Midwest’
Anchored by New Buffalo, Michigan – Harbor Country® is a region of Southwestern Michigan just north of the Indiana state line. It is notable as a popular, upscale weekend getaway destination, particularly for Chicagoans looking to enjoy the region’s beaches, golf courses, vacation rentals, bed and breakfasts, hotels, wineries and entertainment venues.
A favorite destination to both weekend visitors and summer residents, it boasts famous part-time residents and regular visitors like the former Mayor of Chicago Richard M. Daily, current Chicago Mayor and former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, David Axelrod, Senior Advisor to Barack Obama, Michael Jordan, Mike Ditka, and the late media personalities Roger Ebert and Dennis Farina.
Harbor Country consists of the city of New Buffalo and the seven nearby communities of Grand Beach, Michiana, Lakeside, Harbert, Sawyer, Union Pier and Three Oaks. All communities are adjacent to I-94 from Exit 1 to Exit 12, with proximity to the public beaches, parks and entertainment venues.
Harbor Country is an All Season Playground
From what many call the ‘hippest town’ in Michigan (Three Oaks) to the natural wonder of Lake Michigan there’s more plenty of things to do – meeting almost everyone’s interests.
- Apple Cider Century: Annual bike race and bike trails
- Briarleaf Golf Course: Public 18-hole Course
- Dancing Feet Yoga Center: Yoga classes and yoga therapy for all skill levels
- Four Winds Casino Resort: Entertainment and dining
- Kids Quest: Hourly Child Care @ Four Winds Casino Resort
- Outpost Windsports: Bike and sporting equipment rentals
- Revive Spa: Replenish, Rejuvenate, Revive
- Third Coast Surf Shop: Rent Kayaks, paddle boards and surfing supplies
- Whittaker Woods Golf Community: Public 18-hole course and restaurant
- Pure Michigan Travel: Michigan’s official travel and tourism site
- Harbor County Guide: Harbor County Chamber of Commerce Guide
- Southwestern Michigan Tourist Council: Southwest Michigan info
- New Buffalo, Michigan Visitor Information
- New Buffalo, MI Hotels: Accommodation Guide
- South Haven, Michigan Visitor Information
- Bentwood Tavern: Fine dining at the Marina Grand
- Duneland Beach Inn: A Respite From A Hectic World On The Southern Shores Of Lake Michigan
- Greenbush Brewery: Craft beer and restaurant – Sawyer, MI
- Journeyman Distillery: Handcrafted Whiskey in the historic Featherbone Building in Three Oaks, MI.
- Round Barn Winery: Hand-crafted wines, fruit brandies, vodka, and microbrews
- St. Julian Winery: Wines and sparkling juices
- Tabor Hill: Winery and restaurant
- Timothy’s Restaurant: Fine dining at Gordon Beach Inn
- Chikaming Parks: Community Parks and open land for public use in Chikaming Township
- Galien River Park: A mix of upland and wetland habitats along the Galien River. Sky loft provides panoramic views of the Galien River basin.
- New Buffalo Beach and lakefront park: Public beach and Lyons lakeside Park.
- New Buffalo Parks: Dog park, family playgrounds and more.
- New Buffalo Township: Park & Events
- Warren Dunes State Park: 2.5 miles of magnificent shoreline offering, camping, nature trail, and cross-country skiing
- South Haven, MI Beaches and Parks
Harbor Country® is a Registered Trademark of the Harbor Country Chamber of Commerce